Resecure your Home Following an Unlawful Entry

Having your home broken into can be a stressful event. Knowing what to do will make it easier to deal with.

The first thing to do is call the Police on 131 444.

If it is an emergency (if you have been assaulted or if you think they may still be  on the property) ring 000.

Try to leave everything as you found it. In particular, avoid touching entry points such as windows or door handles. There is often evidence here that may assist police with apprehending the culprits.

Be aware that it is the responsibility of the home owner to re-secure a home after an unlawful entry. If you are a tenant you should notify them as soon as possible of the incident and any resultant damage.

Whether you are the home owner or a tenant it is important to resecure the home as soon as possible. We can provide some assistance with this.

Once the police have attended, contact Victims of Crime NT on 1800 672 242.

You can make this call any time day or night. An officer will take details of the break-in and help you to arrange a re-secure. In many cases it can be done immediately, however, in some regions it may be necessary to resecure the following day.

Please ensure that you cooperate fully with police in their investigation.

We can provide up to $400 financial assistance and arrange the repairs to resecure your home. Most commonly people use this funding to repair locks or windows.

Financial assistance can only be used to resecure – aesthetic damage and non-security items such as fly screens cannot be covered.

This funding is intended to assist people with additional needs or vulnerability such as ill health, disability or financial hardship.

You can pay for repairs yourself (ensure you retain a copy of your invoice and receipt from an ABN registered repairer) and Victims of Crime NT will reimburse you according to the above requirements. 

If the repairer is arranged by Victims of Crime NT, (or if the repairer you arrange is amenable, ABN registered and Victims of Crime NT has been notified) an invoice can be sent directly to Victims of Crime NT for the eligible amount.