Personal Protection Strategies
Personal Safety workshops have been delivered successfully since early 2020 and are a partnership between Victims of Crime NT (VoCNT), Neighbourhood Watch NT (NHWNT) and Personal Protection Strategies. (PPS). The success of our initial program designed for Seniors in 2020 prompted planning for expansion of the model to reach other target groups. The program content would be modified to meet the developmental and environmental needs of the audience. Seniors workshops would continue based on our current program. Expertise is secured with a highly skilled facilitator, Sharon Kimberley (Director, Personal Protection Strategies) who is committed and available to provide these workshops.
Personal Safety workshops can be up to 3 hours in duration, offered free of charge and can be offered to groups of up to 25 participants. Each workshop is designed to:
- Support participants with information, education and practical strategies to increase their sense of safety and wellbeing, whether it be in the home, school, work environment or in their communities
- Build a range of personal protective strategies and confidence to manage safety in a range of situations
- Help participants understand the importance of situational awareness
- Teach simple but effective daily tips about home security, with the option of a Free Home Security Assessment at next visit
- Assist in redirecting heightened emotional responses to Tennant Creek’s crime situation by acknowledging the existence of complex and challenging youth justice issues, whilst also empowering individuals to take responsibility for their own safety
- Meet the needs of participants with open conversation, questions and scenarios
In the past year we have successfully delivered a number of Personal Safety Workshops in Darwin, Katherine and Alice Springs. To find out when and where our next Personal Safety Workshop is please see the link to our Facebook page for more details.